- ½ c. each of cremini, oyster, and shitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion (or 2 small ones), finely diced
- 4 tbs. butter
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 2 c. Arborio rice
- 1 c. white wine
- 6 c. chicken stock (room temperature or warmed)
- 2 tbs. each, fresh sage and fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
In medium-large pot, melt butter with olive oil on low-medium heat. Add onion, garlic & mushrooms and sauté until the onions are clear (approx. 20 minutes). Add in the Arborio rice and stir so that the grains are evenly coated with the oil/butter. Cook for about 10 minutes and add in white wine – stir and cook until
wine is almost gone. Add in one cup of chicken broth, stir gently and let the rice absorb. Once the broth is absorbed, add another cup of broth, stir gently, etc. When the rice reaches the consistency that you like (more stock for a wetter risotto and less stock for a more firm risotto), stir in the parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste and the chopped herbs.
You're ready to serve! Serve in a bowl with some grilled mushrooms on top – or some grilled meat. Or, serve as a side accompaniment to a main dish such as roasted chicken, steak or pork loin.